|Thomas J. Adair|
Tom Adair's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, intellectual property matters, and oil and gas disputes. Mr. Adair has experience prosecuting and defending breach of contract, fraud, patent infringement, copyright, trademark, trade secret, and class action claims, among others. His experience ranges from large multi-party cases worth hundreds of millions of dollars to small claims in state and federal court, as well as alternative forums such as arbitration. In addition, Mr. Adair has experience counseling clients on licensing agreements and a variety of business matters.
Prior to law school, Mr. Adair was a legislative assistant for a U.S. Representative. He handled transportation, environmental, agricultural, judicial, tax, and economic matters. As part of this work, Mr. Adair was involved in reforms to the nation's transportation infrastructure following 9/11.
Mr. Adair's practice ranges across all aspects of the litigation process from pre-suit investigation through appeal. A few recent representative matters include:
- Represented a leading oil and gas services company in matters involving breach of contract and fraud allegations.
- Represented a leading banking services company against claims for breach of contract and fraud leading to a favorable resolution shortly before trial.
- Represented a large digital advertising distribution company in its suit claiming breach of certain covenants of an employment agreement and theft of trade secrets, which resulted in a large damages award and injunctive relief.
- Defended an internet company against unjust enrichment and fraudulent transfer claims in federal court, which resulted in an order dismissing all claims.
- Defended a foreign manufacturer against claims of trademark and copyright infringement as well as unfair competition, which included a favorable ruling from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Counseled a software company and prepared licensing agreements.
- Represented hotel developers and owners against claims for breach of contract and fraud related to hotel sales, financing, and management, which resulted in favorable resolutions.
- Defended an architectural and design company against copyright infringement, breach of contract, and defamation claims resulting in a favorable resolution at mediation.
- Defended a major automobile manufacturer in multiple patent infringement suits, which ended with very favorable rulings and resolutions.
- Commercial Disputes Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources Litigation
- Trade Secret & Non-Compete Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Domestic Arbitration/ADR
Awards & Recognition
- Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars 2013
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of New York
- American Bar Association
- Contributing Author, From the Courtroom, to the Boardroom, to the Capitol, "Inside the Minds: Recent Trends in Patent Infringement Litigation," (Aspatore 2011)
- Co-Author, Texas Chapter of "Business Torts: A Fifty State Guide," 2007 and 2008 Editions; Daller, Editor-in-Chief
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeal for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- J.D., with honors, University of Texas Law School
- Dartmouth College